When you notice your clothes becoming tight and uncomfortable, you’ll want to start shopping for maternity clothes. It’s fine to add a few items as you need them, rather than buying a whole new wardrobe. Your lifestyle and whether or not you work will determine how extensive your maternity wardrobe needs to be.
Two essentials are a good bra and good pair of shoes. Your breasts will grow throughout pregnancy, so be sure to buy a bra that is comfortable and supportive. You may want to buy one bra at a time as your size increases and a nursing bra towards the end of your pregnancy.
Shoes with low heels will be more comfortable and will help prevent backaches. Keep in mind that it is not unusual for your feet to increase by one half to a full size by the end of pregnancy due to swelling.
Maternity clothes are more stylish than ever. Designers are offering better fabrics and more selection. Here are a few tips to keep you looking fabulous as your tummy grows:
- Choose dark solids for a trimmer, sophisticated look. Avoid bright colors and busy patterns—they tend to accentuate your size.
- Accessorize the same outfit a new way for a fresh look. Draw attention away from your tummy and up to your face with a pretty necklace, earrings, or scarf.
- Slim pants paired with a loose fitting top or sweater creates a sporty look.
- Use what you can from your current wardrobe.
- A simple dress, paired with tights, always works.
- Look for clothing that will allow your waist as well as bust to grow.