When you notice your clothes becoming tight and uncomfortable, you’ll want to start shopping for maternity clothes. It’s fine to add a few items as you need them, rather than buying a whole new wardrobe. Your lifestyle and whether or not you work will determine how extensive your maternity wardrobe needs to be.
Two essentials are a good bra and good pair of shoes. Your breasts will grow throughout pregnancy, so be sure to buy a bra that is comfortable and supportive. You may want to buy one bra at a time as your size increases and a nursing bra towards the end of your pregnancy.
Shoes with little to no heel will be more comfortable and will help prevent backaches. Keep in mind that it is not unusual for your feet to increase by one half to a full size by the end of pregnancy due to swelling.
Maternity clothes are more stylish and comfortable than ever. Here are a few tips to keep you looking fabulous:
- Choose dark solids for a sleeker, more sophisticated look. Avoid bright colors and busy patterns.
- Accessorize the same outfit a new way for a different look. Draw attention up to your face with a cute necklace, earrings, or scarf.
- Stock up on maternity leggings and pair them with a loose fitting top or sweater.
- Use what you can from your current wardrobe. Borrow from friends. Search your favorite brands and your size on eBay.
- Keep is simple with a maternity tank dress or maxi dress.
- Look for clothing that will allow both your belly and bust to grow.