Choosing a Pediatrician
At some point you will need to choose a pediatrician or family practice physician for your baby. Your choices may be limited by your health insurance plan so be sure to check that first. Before you make a decision, it's a good idea to schedule a prenatal appointment.
Some things to discuss and consider are:
- Does he/she practice with others who will assist in your baby's care?
- What are his/her hours and fees, and how much will your insurance plan cover?
- Is his/her office "child friendly"? Are sick and well children kept in separate waiting rooms?
- How long is the average wait to be seen?
- Is he/she available to answer questions by phone? Is a nurse available by phone?
- What hospital is he/she affiliated?
- Will he/she be available at the delivery?
- What about circumcision if you have a boy?
- What are his/her philosophies regarding:
- … Breastfeeding? Bottle-feeding?
- … Feeding on demand? On schedule?
- … Infant vitamins? Fluoride supplements?
- … Immunizations?